The atrium is an all-weather, glass-walled plaza with trees and flowers.
Come rest in the atrium to relieve your tired feet from walking around Goryokaku.
Take time and relax in a green environment under the sun.
- Visitor's route
- Tower Ticket Desk
- Gift shop on the first level
- Statue of Ayasaburo Takeda
- Statue of Takeaki Enomoto
- Bronze statue of Toshizo Hijikata
- Hakodate when Goryokaku was built.
- Coin-op lockers
- Pay phone
- Men’s restroom
- Women’s restroom
- Multipurpose restroom
- Nursing room
Various events are held in the atrium throughout the year.
Bronze statue of Toshizo Hijikata
Next to the atrium stage is a bronze statue of Toshizo Hijikata, who served as the vice commander of the Shinsengumi, to symbolize his deep relationship with Goryokaku. His life appeals to many people and receives support even today. The statue was created by sculptor Machiko Kodera (1950-2012) who was born in Hakodate and active in Italy. Produced in December 2003 as part of the 40th anniversary project.See an enlarged photo. About the bronze statue of Toshizo Hijikata.
The arrow bamboo which is planted by Toshizo Hijikata.
It is said that the samurai planted the bamboo prepare for the emergencies. When Toshizo was a child, he planted the bamboo with the wishes that he would become a samurai someday, and gain fame. Those bamboo are divided from the Toshizo Hijikata Museum, Hino city, Tokyo in 1985.
Eco-friendly air conditioner, Dry Mist.
For the air conditioner of the atrium, eco-friendly Dry Mist powered by nature has been adopted. Tree leaves spray a small amount of water into the air inside the forest. The sprayed water evaporates immediately in the air to draw heat from the surroundings. That is why it feels cooler in the forest. Dry Mist also utilizes water evaporation to cool down surrounding temperatures to create the same coolness as inside the forest. This means it is an eco-friendly air conditioner that uses the power of nature. Dry Mist delivers the coolness of forests to the summer of the Goryokaku Tower Atrium.
● Dry Mist can lower the surrounding temperatures by two to three degrees.
● The energy consumption to lower temperatures is extremely small at one-twentieth of household air conditioners.
● Because water droplets are extremely fine and evaporate immediately, people do not feel wet even when they touch the water droplets.
● Dry Mist helps alleviate climate changes and the urban heat island effect.Related website: Promotional campaign for climate changes, Fun to Share.